Fully operational in the most challenging of deepwater, high pressure offshore environments
- Significantly greater resistance to erosion than current choke solutions
- Flexibility regarding sizing
- A new simplified actuation technology
- Real-time information during production
- A choke designed for the lifetime of the field
- A one-stop shop for all subsea choke technology needs
General product specifications
- Pressure rating: 15000 psi / 1035 Bar
- Temperature rating: -50 to 350 °F / -47 to 177 °C
- CV range: 20 – 1100
- Line size: 4″ – 10″
- Complies to all relevant ISO and API standards
- Standard ROV interfaces
- General condition monitoring
- Positional indication with high accuracy
- SIIS level 2 compliant interface
- Retrievable/Non-retrievable versions available
Frequently Asked Questions
There are few more crucial components to operators’ subsea production systems in the oil & gas industry today than that of the subsea choke. Chokes maintain selected flow characteristics, control the production flow, ensure that wells are operating at their full potential, and are central to operator needs to improve production performance, functionality and reliability. Furthermore at a time where extreme, deepwater high pressure and high temperature operating conditions are becoming the norm, the role of the subsea choke has become critical to operational success.
On the whole, they are not. While much of today’s subsea architecture has seen significant technology advances over the last few years, the key technologies behind subsea chokes remains the same today as they were five or even ten years ago, failing to meet the challenges of deepwater and high GVF reservoirs, for example.
There are a number of limitations to today’s chokes – primarily their vulnerability to sand erosion and high pressures in the reservoir and the lack of flexibility and real-time information they can provide.
Sand erosion can result in the need to retrieve the choke, the shutting down of the well, and losses of potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars (and in the worst case scenario, subsea tree replacement), and current high pressures – in sub salt reservoirs, for example – bring with them a need for new products designed especially for these conditions.
Other downsides include the complexity of today’s actuation technologies with lots of moving parts and potential for equipment failure, restrictions as to the opening and closing of chokes and the need to change the chokes to meet different reservoir conditions, and a lack of real-time information on the choke’s performance.
SCI AS is a young start up-company that is addressing these limitations through a new innovative, erosion and pressure resistant, retrievable subsea choke that brings greater reliability and operability to subsea operations – often in the most challenging of offshore environments.
- Significantly greater resistance to erosion than current choke products on the market and the ability to function in deepwater reservoir at pressures of up to 15000 psi. SCI’s new solution has a design to dramatically reduce dangers from erosion and there are no restrictions as to the opening and closing of the choke with resulting benefits for flushing.
- A simplified actuation technology, where there are limited moving parts, ensuring greater operator control over the choke valve and increased flexibility. While traditional technologies are based around stepping actuators where small steps can make huge differences to the flow, SCI’s solution can control the flow accurately and fast throughout the full operating range of the choke.
- Whether it be flow measurements, pressure or temperature measurements, condition monitoring or position indications, the new choke also provides real-time information to the operator during production, ensuring greater control over and a clearer picture of real-time production operations.
- This flexibility ensures that the choke is designed for the lifetime of the field with the choke every bit as effective when there is high differential pressure at the outset of the reservoir life through to lower pressures as the field becomes older.
- Finally, SCI provides a full and integrated choke solution for operators and EPC companies which include all hardware and software components. The result is one single contact for maintenance and a one-stop shop for all subsea choke technology needs. And in the unlikely event of retrieval, the choke can be retrieved.